1. Who is Anna Hazare? – An ex-army man. Fought 1965 Indo-Pak War
2. What’s so special about him? – He built a village Ralegaon Siddhi in Ahamad Nagar district, Maharashtra
3. So what? - This village is a self-sustained model village. Energy is produced in the village itself from solar power, biofuel and wind mills. In 1975, it used to be a poverty clad village. Now it is one of the richest village in India. It has become a model for self-sustained, eco-friendly & harmonic village.
4. Ok,…? – This guy, Anna Hazare was awarded Padma Bhushan and is a known figure for his social activities.
5. Really, what is he fighting for? – He is supporting a cause, the amendment of a law to curb corruption in India.
6. How that can be possible? – He is advocating for a Bil, The Jan Lokpal Bill (The Citizen Ombudsman Bill), that will form an autonomous authority who will make politicians (ministers), beurocrats (IAS/IPS) accountable for their deeds.
8. It’s an entirely new thing right..? – In 1972, the bill was proposed by then Law minister Mr. Shanti Bhushan. Since then it has been neglected by the politicians and some are trying to change the bill to suit thier theft (corruption).
7. Oh.. He is going on a hunger strike for that whole thing of passing a Bill ! How can that be possible in such a short span of time? – The first thing he is asking for is: the government should come forward and announce that the bill is going to be passed.
Next, they make a joint committee to DRAFT the JAN LOKPAL BILL. 50% government participation and 50% public participation. Because you cant trust the government entirely for making such a bill which does not suit them.
8. Fine, What will happen when this bill is passed?- A LokPal will be appointed at the center. He will have an autonomous charge, say like the Election Commission of India. In each and every state, Lokayukta will be appointed. The job is to bring all alleged party to trial in case of corruptions within 1 year. Within 2 years, the guilty will be punished. Not like, Bofors scam or Bhopal Gas Tragedy case, that has been going for last 25 years without any result.
9. Is he alone? Who else is there in the fight with Anna Hazare? – Baba Ramdev, Ex. IPS Kiran Bedi, Social Activist Swami Agnivesh, RTI activist Arvind Kejriwal and many more. Prominent personalities like Aamir Khan is supporting his cause.
10. Ok, got it. What can I do? – At least we can spread the message.
How? – Putting status message, links, video, changing profile pics.
At least we can support Anna Hazare and the cause for uprooting corruption from India.
At least we can hope that his Hunger Strike does not go in vain.
At least we can pray for his good health.
Read more about Anna Hazare
Why the movement ? – The movement started due to the resentment because of the serious differences between the draft Lokpal Bill 2010 prepared by the government and the Jan Lokpal Bill prepared by the members of this movement which has received significant public support.
Note: Being a Tamilian it is really painful for me to say that the least support for this movement is from Tamil Nadu, may be we have accepted corruption as a part and parcel of daily life. We are responsible for our action and we should also face the consequences of our action. By being indifferent to corruption we are becoming an accomplice to theft which makes us a criminal too. Are you going to be a criminal? or are you going to be a part of something that is going to shape the future India and the future generations?
“Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.”